Sunday, May 3, 2015

Freely, Freely

Sunday, a day of rest. Coming to church this morning thinking of all the unrest and brokenness in this world. Baltimore. Nepal. Division and need everywhere we turn. And instead of rest for a weary soul, our pastor Shyloe this morning reminded us of these words at the end of Jesus's life.  

‘Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Matthew 28: 19-20, NASB

Um, that's not the rest I was hoping for. In fact that's the opposite. I am reminded that by giving my heart and soul to Jesus that means that I have to then follow through. Now that looks very different for each person but it implies a serious action and decision in our part to go. To teach. To do. Following Jesus means taking an action on our part. Loving as He loves. Every person. Showing up, even when we don't want to. Can you imagine for a minute what it would be like if we Christians actually followed the great commission? All of us. To every person. 

We sang one of my favorite hymns today that just resonates so well with Jesus's message:
'Freely, freely you have received;, freely, freely give. 
Go in my name, and because you believe others will know that I live.' (by Carol Owens)

We received God's amazing gift of Jesus without price. Free. And I hope I can live with that desire to freely give. To go. And the good news, at the end of His commission Jesus reminded us "I am with you always."


No comments:

Post a Comment